2 mins read

Man pleads guilty to firearm possession in Madison homicide

The second of three men charged in a Near East Side homicide last year has pleaded guilty to reduced charges, leaving the third man, who court documents say was the shooter, to stand trial at a date yet to be set.

Keyonta C. Blaney, 21, of Madison, who had been charged with first-degree intentional homicide as an accessory to the crime, instead pleaded guilty Monday to possession of a firearm by a felon and aiding a felon, both as a repeat offender, and operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent.

Federal judge bars protesters from crossing Republican National Convention security zone

Each of these convictions carries a combined prison and extended supervision sentence of up to 10 years, and the aggravated penalty for repeat offenders adds four years to the convictions for weapon possession and aiding and abetting.

People also read…

The manslaughter charge against Blaney was dropped as part of the plea deal. Blaney was scheduled to stand trial on that charge this week.

Blaney was charged along with Julius D. Jones, 19, and Nathaniel R. Douglas, 25, both of Madison, for his role in the shooting death of Nicholas G. Taylor-Washington, 20, of Madison, on June 18, 2023. The shooting happened in the 600 block of East Dayton Street.

Jones pleaded guilty last month to first-degree manslaughter as an accessory to the crime. He is scheduled to be sentenced in September. No sentencing date has been set for Blaney. A trial has not yet been set for Douglas.

A criminal complaint says two witnesses said Douglas fired several shots, one of which struck Taylor-Washington. A witness who was in the car with the group told police that Jones pulled the gun out of a backpack during a drive to what was supposed to be a party on East Dayton Street, and that Blaney held the gun for a time, according to the complaint.

Beer Baron: It Might Not Be Too Early for Oktoberfest

After no one was found, the group drove a short distance before Jones said something that prompted Douglas to stop the car. The witness said Blaney handed the gun to Douglas, who got out and fired rapidly, according to the complaint.

Taylor-Washington died shortly after being taken to Meriter Hospital by a friend.